16 Apr 2018
On Friday, Trump pardoned convicted felon Scooter Libby in a case that, as the New York Times puts it, “mirrors his own.” Libby was caught lying to FBI agents during a special prosecutor investigation into the leaked identity of former CIA officer Valerie Plame. He was convicted in 2007 of perjury and obstruction of justice.
Once again there is a embarrassing skeleton lurking in Barbara Comstock’s closet.
Barbara Comstock played a key role in running the Scooter Libby defense fund. That’s right - Barbara Comstock actually raised money and publicly defended a man who lied to the FBI about revealing the identify of an undercover CIA agent. According to George Bush Sr., people who reveal CIA sources are “the most insidious of traitors”, but Barbara Comstock is cool with it.
“These are people who have been involved in political activities for a long while and know things can get pretty rough . . . who are willing to put their good names behind Scooter’s good name,” Barbara Comstock, Libby defense fund spokesperson, said.
Libby has returned the favor by donating regularly to Comstock’s campaign.
Jennifer Wexton’s campaign was quick to pounce:
I'm sure @RepComstock, the chairwoman of Scooter Libby's Defense Fund, is thanking @realDonaldTrump for this pardon. It's sad to see these two defending someone who leaked a CIA operative’s name for political purposes and then lied about it. #VA10 https://t.co/hijSv1u5Ob— Jennifer Wexton (@JenniferWexton) April 13, 2018
Although Barbara Comstock recently won election pretending to be a moderate, she has spent most of her life as a Republican hack. She has been running with the right wing conspiracy crowd for years and it has already produced several embarrassing connections between Comstock and the Trump-Russia scandal.
- In 2006, Comstock co-founded a crisis management firm with Mark Corallo. Corallo served as the spokesperson for Trump’s legal team and is now a key witness in the Mueller investigation.
- Comstock is also friendly with Fox News personality Joe diGenova and his wife Victoria Toensing who are advising Trump to fire Rosenstein and Mueller. Both diGenova and his wife are donors to Comstock’s 2014 and 2016 campaigns.
- Comstock is a former DOJ spokesperson who is on record as expressing confidence in both Robert Mueller and Rod Rosenstein. This makes her vulnerable to criticism as she has remained silent while Trump and the GOP continue to attack not only Mueller and Rosenstein but the DOJ and FBI generally.
- The Russian dossier was initially funded by Comstock’s billionaire donor Paul Singer. His “newspaper”, the Free Beacon, is also helping Comstock out by writing attack pieces on her GOP opponent Shak Hill.
- Comstock is also connected to Michael Cohen’s mystery client AKA Sean Hannity. Hannity endorsed Comstock back in 2014 and the two of them were photographed together at the RNC convention.
Comstock’s right wing past has already revealed several problematic connections between her and several Trump-Russia players. That list will surely grow as the story unfolds.